Gap Year and Around The World Travelling: 12 Principles for an Amazing Trip
Gap year travelling can be one of the most fulfilling, life enhancing, and positive things a person does. From Europe to Asia to Africa and South America – an amazing selection of new cultures, experiences, and people await.
In this article, follow the twelve rules from “Around the World in 80 Scams: an Essential Travel Guide” for having a safe and awesome adventure.
1. If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is – so pass. This applies anywhere, from advertisements in newspapers or online to offers from touts in bus stations.
2. Do not accept food or drink from strangers who you have just met in hotels or on buses or trains. Just smile and decline.
3. Pay careful attention to your surroundings when using an ATM. Guard your PIN carefully, and avoid being distracted while using the machine.
4. Before you set off, do at least a little research to find out whether the destination is notorious for any particular scams. Embassy websites and online travel forums are particularly good sources.
5. Watch taxi drivers like a hawk. Many are honest, but many will cheat you given the slightest chance.
6. Do not carry something valuable when you go out, if you dont need to carry it. Leave it in your hotel or hostel. If necessary, ask the management to put it in the hotel safe.
7. Learn something about the currency you will have to use at your destination. Find out the exchange rate before you go, and try to familiarise yourself with notes and coins as soon as possible.
8. Keep as many of your possessions as possible in sight when you are out and about.
9. Do not always assume that policemen or customs officials are honest, especially in poorer countries. Keep your wits about you.
10. Carry a backup ATM or credit card with you in case you lose your main card.
11. Try not to arrive in foreign cities after dark. Thieves love darkness.
12. Do not buy expensive goods overseas unless you know exactly what you are doing. Counterfeit goods are more common than you think.
Published: March 11, 2012, 18:32 | Comments Off on Gap Year and Around The World Travelling: 12 Principles for an Amazing Trip